Tibet Protester

Tibet Protester
A man is taken away by Nepali police during a Tibetan protest outside of the Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu.

World Peace Pagoda

World Peace Pagoda
This is a holy site for Buddhists on top of a hillside over looking the Pokhara Valley, about seven hours west of Kathmandu. It is believed Buddha came to this hilltop to find enlightenment,

Tibetan Flags

Tibetan Flags
Rows of the flags waved over the film festival on the June 6th. Almost everyday in Kathmandu, Tibetan protesters are arrested outside of the China Embassy.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

"Is no problem, is fine"

This is a statement I hear at least five times a day in Ktm (**Kathmandu** for those who don't have a common-language-abreviation sense). And no the "is" is NOT a typo. It is simply there instead of "it's."

Nepalis are pretty simple people. This may stem from their mostly Hindi and Buddist religions, but I am still trying to figure out the root of this idea. Although I really do like that mentality, it is slightly frusterating that everyone runs on their own schedule. 

Yes, it is a large cultural difference than us, high-strung, multi-tasking, hyper-tensive Americans. For example, it has taken over 50 hours for my press ID badge to be made. You have to track the person down in charge of making them, and remind them three times, and then maybe it may be done by 5pm today as promised. I have been lucky that on my assignments so far, I haven't needed one, but I cannot imagine not have a credential if I was sent to cover, for instance, a Maoist Party meeting, or the exit of the King from his royal palace.

I was told before I came here, and now I understand first hand, that Nepalis are kind, almost too kind for their and my own good sometimes. There is often too much trust in strangers. Quite a difference from the sometimes guarded personalities we encounter at home in the states. We in America are raised to be very aware and cautious of people we don't know for the most part. I know that is a big hunch, and a possible stereotype, but I think you get my drift.

1 comment:

Shane said...

Ahhh, you're making me miss the gruelingly slow pace of developing nations. Enjoy it while you can....